As any vacationer can tell you, Europe is one of the best places to visit. Unfortunately it is also among the most expensive depending on where you go and what you do. For vacationers on a budget, there are a vast number of places to visit that not only offer inexpensive accommodations and dining, they have attractions that are easy on the pocketbook. Although there are many to choose from, here are 10 of the best and most inexpensive places to see in Europe.
1. Oslo, Norway: This jewel of the Arctic offers some of the best free attractions in Europe with many galleries and museums as well as some of the best parks. This city also has friendly accommodations and dining opportunities that do not cost very much.
2. Lisbon, Portugal: Beautiful beaches and sparkling nightlife are the popular attractions of this city which mimics Paris and Rome in its popular nightclubs and eateries but without the over inflated prices.
3. Krakow, Poland: This picturesque city offers the gothic cathedrals and wondrous palaces of Eastern Europe as well as a number of popular hotels and restaurants offering prices much better than Warsaw.
4. Prague, Czech Republic: Although prices here are slowly rising, there are still many deals to be had in this city which boasts cultural and historic viewing opportunities unlike any other in Eastern Europe. Stay away from the tourist traps and you’ll find great deals on hotels and fine dining, especially in winter months if you wish to brave the cold weather.
5. Istanbul, Turkey: This city is host to tourists from every part of the world with its ties to ancient Rome and the all-world appeal of dining and attractions. Although the nightlife is expensive, dining and lodging are cheaper than many other European cities.
6. Berlin, Germany: You would expect such a modern city to be expensive but Germans have always been known for good budgeting and it shows in the ease of city travel and the costs of food and lodging. You can really get the old world versus new world feel here as the classic European architecture meets the modern styling of Germany’s industrial and technology Mecca.
7. Sofia, Bulgaria: This tourist gem has been recently touted as one of the newest and cheapest of European tourist attractions. With ease of travel to many of the top tourist cities and city dining and lodging at often less than 50USD per day, it is quickly becoming a top destination for budget minded travelers.
8. Budapest, Hungary: This historic city has been one of the cheapest European cities for decades now as it offers inexpensive dining, sightseeing, and lodging as well as some of the best and oldest sights you will ever set eyes upon.
9. Vilnius, Lithuania: This gem of the Baltic offers some of the best old world charm and the exchange rate really sweetens the deal with cheap fine dining and hotel accommodations. Whether you take in the sights or simply want to make this the first of many travel stops, you won’t be disappointed.
10. Kiev, Ukraine: this jewel of the former Soviet Union offers great Byzantine architecture and culture and one of the best exchange rates when compared with the US dollar. You can easily have a great time in this city for less than 50 USD per day.